WordPress 2.2 was released today. We don’t advise everyone to rush out and try it just yet, and if you must- always back up your install and your database first.
When a developer says they’ve added “We now protect you from activating a plugin or editing a file that will break your blog” it could mean that something you have now, that works just great for you- may not work the moment you upgrade.
We’ll be testing version 2.2 real soon and will update you on what we find.
- WordPress â€º Blog Â» WordPress 2.2
* WordPress Widgets allow you to easily rearrange and customize areas of your weblog (usually sidebars) with drag-and-drop simplicity. This functionality was originally available as a plugin Widgets are now included by default in the core code, significantly cleaned up, and enabled for the default themes.
* Full Atom support, including updating our Atom feeds to use the 1.0 standard spec and including an implementation of the Atom Publishing API to complement our XML-RPC interface.
* A new Blogger importer that is able to handle the latest version of Googleâ€™s Blogger product and seamlessly import posts and comments without any user interaction beyond entering your login.
* Infinite comment stream, meaning that on your Edit Comments page when you delete or spam a comment using the AJAX links under each comment it will bring in another comment in the background so you always have 20 items on the page. (I know it sounds geeky, but try it!)
* We now protect you from activating a plugin or editing a file that will break your blog.
* Core plugin and filter speed optimizations should make everything feel a bit more snappy and lighter on your server.
* Weâ€™ve added a hook for WYSIWYG support in a future version of Safari.
In addition there were also dozens of UI and accessibility improvements, ranging from more concise wording around options and links to things like a view and preview link above the content box when youâ€™re editing a post or page.
Once again, the size of the WordPress community helps build a better program. And while they claim over 1.4 million downloads of 2.1, it’s probably on the low side since people like us download it one time and install it on over 80 sites.
Let us know if you would like your install updated, you can pick your options in our store.